On the occasion of the death anniversary of India’s second Prime Minister, Lal Bahadur Shastri, we reflect on his enduring legacy through 10 of his most inspirational quotes.
- Shastri, known for his simplicity and humility, once remarked, “True democracy or the Swaraj of the masses can never come through untruthful and violent means.”
- Advocating for self-reliance, he said, “Jai Jawan, Jai Kisan” – a slogan that resonates even today, emphasizing the importance of both the soldier and the farmer in nation-building.
- Shastri’s commitment to social equality was evident in his words: “The preservation of freedom, is not the task of soldiers alone. The whole nation has to be strong.”
- Addressing the youth, he encouraged, “We have now to fight for peace with the same courage and determination as we fought against aggression.”
- On the importance of education, Shastri asserted, “The central task of education is to implant a will and facility for learning; it should produce not learned but learning people.”
- Reflecting his belief in unity, he stated, “The only alternative to coexistence is co-destruction.”
- Shastri’s vision for progress included all sections of society, as he affirmed, “Our way of life is based on democracy, cultural diversity, and above all, on social justice.”
- In times of adversity, he inspired resilience: “Discipline and united action are the real sources of strength for the nation.”
- Shastri’s emphasis on diplomacy was evident in his words, “We believe in peace and peaceful development, not only for ourselves but for people all over the world.”
- Summing up his philosophy, he declared, “We must think and act like a nation of a billion people and not like that of a million people.”
As the nation commemorates Lal Bahadur Shastri’s death anniversary, his words continue to resonate, providing guidance and inspiration for the present and future generations. In remembering this iconic leader, we honor not just his deeds but the timeless wisdom encapsulated in these quotes, which remain beacons of hope and guidance.